May 14, 2011

Alive and Flapping


As I predicted, it's been rather quiet here for a couple of months. With the third SHS party only a few weeks away, it's time to get back in the blogging business - and what better way to do it than by looking at some lovely ladies from the 1920s. 

Louise Brooks (above, click to enlarge) is by far one of my favourites flappers; there is something very elegant and at the same time something very outrageous about her. 




I don't know all that much about Evelyn Brent, but I like her hat, and her haughty expression. Wikipedia tells me that Brent was at one time married to Harry Fox, who gave his name to foxtrot. Live and learn. 



Norma Talmadge was a superstar of the silent film era. I love her dress and the pearls. 



I don't know who this girl is, but there is something captivating about the simple elegance of the photograph. Makes me wish I had shorter hair so that I could try to duplicate that do.



Mary Eaton was a popular dancer and actress, who appeared alongside the Marx Brothers in The Cocoanuts...

 ...as did the Brox Sisters.


Fanny Brice was a comedienne, and later an inspiration for Funny Girl.




Karla Gutchrlein was one half of the Sisters G - and incredibly cool. 



Josephine Baker didn't believe in wearing very much, but she also lived a fascinating life. Bring on the banana miniskirt!

And finally, a reminder that although not all 20s women were young and glamorous, they sure knew how to have a good time. If I didn't already have suitably jazzy shoes for our speakeasy party, I'd be seriously considering a pair of boots big enough to slip a bottle of whisky in.

(Source: All pictures are from Wikimedia Commons)

No comments: